In 2020, the UN passed a new resolution on ‘reducing space threats through norms, rules and principles of responsible behaviours’. Since then, there has been the development of a new Open Ended Working Group (OEWG) on the same: the first session was due to take place in February 2022, but this has now been postponed to May 2022. The OEWG will work to identify threatening and irresponsible space behaviours.
What can be expected from this OEWG? What role could the OEWG place in making space a safer domain? What role can non governmental experts play in contributing to the agenda as well as the implementation of any outcomes of the working group?
Join experts at this BASIC and Third Nuclear Age panel event on Thursday April 21st, 2022, 2 PM London to learn more.
- Eric Desautels, Acting Deputy Assistant Secretary of State, AVC, Department of State, US Government.
- Dr Jessica West, Senior Researcher, Ploughshares Canada
- Dr Rajeswari (Raji) Pillai Rajagopalan, Director of the Centre for Security, Strategy and Technology (CSST) at the Observer Research Foundation
- Dr Bleddyn Bowen, Associate Professor, University of Leicester
- Victoria Samson, Washington Office Director, Secure World Foundation
- Nivedita Raju, Researcher, SIPRI
- Anuradha Damale, Policy Fellow, BASIC, PhD Researcher, University of Leicester