- News & Updates
- Events & Publications
BASIC works in both nuclear weapon and non-nuclear weapon states, with a specific expert focus on the UK, US, Europe and the Middle East. By bridging political and geographical divides, creating links between different perspectives in the nuclear weapons policy debate, and improving the processes of negotiation and decision-making over nuclear weapons, we aim to address some of the strategic challenges posed by the changing global nuclear landscape.
BASIC is not a conventional advocacy organization. Nor are we a traditional think tank. What distinguishes BASIC from other organizations is our uniquely non-partisan, dialogue-based approach. We provide a discreet forum for constructive engagement between individuals from different geographical, political or cultural backgrounds on traditionally sensitive or complex issues. Our aim is to break through existing barriers, rather than reinforce entrenched thinking; to build understanding of different perspectives and identify commonalities; to use this to encourage fresh or alternative approaches; and to feed these findings back in to existing policy debate.
We make every effort to ensure that our engagement complements, but does not duplicate, the work of policy-makers, think-tanks, research organizations and advocacy groups.
Where BASIC seeks to make an impact:
1. Identifying opportunities for nuclear weapon and non-nuclear weapon states to take credible, stabilizing steps towards sustainable nuclear disarmament and non-proliferation
2. Seeking commonalities across geographical and political divides to build confidence in the security benefits of a non-nuclear weapons approach
3. Overcoming obstacles which hinder progress on nuclear disarmament and non-proliferation, by exploring and challenging traditional traps and assumptions
WHAT WE BRING:
• A diverse and extensive contact network in the UK, US, Europe and the Middle East
• A trusted reputation for non-partisan, sensitive engagement
• A unique emphasis on understanding perspectives
• Innovative policy approaches
• An intelligent, reasoned and constructive approach to problem-solving
• An ability to interpret and distil perspectives into useable information
• Strong research and analytical skills
• A small, committed and adaptable team, with offices in London and Washington